A fundamental basic training in the essential aspects of mechanical engineering - with a strong focus on digitalization.
The Mechanical Engineering bachelor’s degree program gives students the know-how needed to meet the demands of this dynamic branch of industry. In addition to teaching students the fundamentals of engineering science and natural science, this full-time degree program focuses on design and production. It combines technical, business, and personal development content, giving students a modern, diverse, and practical education that allows them to later specialize in a variety of fields.
Mechanical engineering is constantly changing, and production processes are becoming increasingly complex. Existing technologies are often no longer able to meet these demands. As a result, qualified, creative, and flexible specialists who master and advance innovative production technologies are in high demand. The job market is looking for experts who can control and plan highly complex machinery or advise companies regarding materials, products, and processes.
- Analyze mechanical engineering problems and develop solutions, drawing on specific knowledge from related subjects (mathematics, mechanics, physics, chemistry, etc.)
- Illustrate technical concepts, select production technology and materials, and obtain agreement on drafts from competent bodies, taking technical standards into account
- Perform calculations for determining the dimensions of functions, components, and elements; and abstract technical requirements
- Use current design tools (CAD, etc.) to create designs for components (assemblies, machinery) that are suitable for production and comply with relevant standards
- Select machine elements correctly and use them in the right dimensions when designing machine components
- Work with representatives from other technical departments (such as trials, calculations, electrical engineering, electronic engineering, computer science, etc.) to prepare specifications for products and develop solutions for building and using manipulative systems
- Specify the operating equipment needed for production engineering, such as tool machinery, handling equipment, and other operating equipment used in production
- Select the right production procedures, taking materials, component shape, and safety requirements into account, and plan the optimal production procedure sequence
- Provide support for technical purchasing during contract awards,
- for example by clarifying technical matters with suppliers
What will I be able to do in the field after earning this degree?
Graduates in mechanical engineering are highly sought-after on the job market.
- They work in industries ranging from machine building, metal manufacturing, the electrical industry, automotive construction, construction, transportation, and traffic.
- They work as developers or designers or in production, logistics, or maintenance, for example.
- Their typical tasks include designing and developing machine systems, making prototypes, analyzing and optimizing production processes, and quality assurance.
What are the admission requirements?
You must have one of the following to apply for the Mechanical Engineering bachelor’s degree program:
- Matriculation exam (HTL, AHS, or BHS Matura)
- Vocational matriculation exam
- University entrance qualification exam in a relevant field
- Relevant vocational training with additional qualification (an entrance exam or qualification exam at UAS Technikum Wien)
What advanced programs does UAS Technikum Wien offer?
- International Business and Engineering master’s degree program and 17 other master’s degree programs
- Project and Process Management master’s course and other further training courses
The Mechanical Engineering degree program receives financial support from Machinery & Metalware, an Organization of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber.
Internationalization of studies
Starting in 2022/23, internationalization will play an essential role for students at UAS Technikum Wien and will become a fixed component of every curriculum. The possibilities are diverse and adapted to the different framework conditions of the students: from excursions lasting several days to semesters abroad, from acting as an international buddy for others to writing the Bachelor thesis in English. All Bachelor students complete at least 5 ECTS from a wide range of measures.