What will I learn in this degree program?
The Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine master’s degree program trains students in two new, interdisciplinary fields in the biomedical sciences that aim to replace damaged tissue in the human body and to stimulate the body’s own regenerative processes. The ability to create viable natural human tissue such as skin, muscle, and bone in the laboratory is one of the major challenges in medicine. International research and development of new therapies in these areas is currently booming. Our students benefit from the degree program’s close connection to current research, which is especially evident in the high number of practice-oriented projects included in the curriculum.
- To generate various tissues according to the latest science using suitable cells and biomaterials
- To characterize these constructs scientifically and evaluate their therapeutic use
- To select relevant chemical and mechanical stimuli for cells and tissue and analyze and interpret their effects
- To apply the latest methods in cell and tissue biology
- To explain specific signal transduction pathways
- To explain the biomechanical connections underlying cell and tissue biology at the molecular level
- To compare different biomaterials and generate ideas for their use in tissue engineering
- To describe and apply the most important methods in project management and designing studies
- To clearly present and evaluate the functionality of different bioreactor types
- To describe bioprocesses for the creation of recombinant proteins from the gene to pure substance, using microbial and/or animal cell systems
- To explain interactions between artificially generated tissue constructs and the human body relative to immunology and vascular biology
- To describe and utilize the essential properties and application potential of stem cells
- Relevant areas of application for nanotechnologies in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine
- To develop their own ideas in the field of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine based on specialized scientific literature under the supervision of a senior researcher as well as to plan, implement, and analyze experiments
- To document and interpret scientific results as well as to present them in various ways
- To evaluate scientific findings with an eye towards the financial and legal aspects, especially with regard to government regulations and approval processes
What opportunities does the optional double degree program offer?
The program is also offered as a double degree program in cooperation with the Experimental and Medical Biosciences master’s degree program at Linköping University (LiU) in Sweden. Students of the Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine master’s degree program who are accepted into the double degree program study at UAS Technikum Wien the first year and at Linköping University the second year. After successfully completing the program, they receive two academic degrees.
What will I be able to do in the field after earning this degree?
Graduates have a wide range of career opportunities:
- They are employed at medical and biotech labs and work in analytical development, quality control, and process development, and at various research institutions.
- They fulfill the requirements for a doctoral degree program in a technical scientific field.
- Graduates work as research or project staff, quality managers, or product managers as well as in management positions in these areas.
What are the admission requirements?
Applicants to this master’s degree program must have a bachelor’s degree and/or other recognized academic degree from a natural science/technical university of applied sciences or university with at least 180 ECTS credits and knowledge of English on level B2 (GER)..
What advanced programs does UAS Technikum Wien offer?
UAS Technikum Wien provides support through its lifelong learning offerings even after students complete their master’s program. The UAS Technikum Wien Alumni Club gives its members a number of advantages, and the Technikum Wien Academy offers a wide range of further education options, ranging from one-day seminars to post-graduate master’s courses.