Funding opportunities

The International Office administers the following support programmes for its students:

  • Erasmus+ grant
  • Marshall Plan Scholarship
  • travel allowance for semesters at partner universities outside Erasmus+

In addition, the Austrian Scholarship Office offers foreign scholarships to recipients of study grants and self-support scholarships.

The Erasmus + mobility programme supports semesters abroad and placements abroad in Erasmus+ programme countries. The Erasmus+ programme countries are all EU member states, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Serbia, Macedonia and Turkey.

The IO carries out the application for Erasmus funding for students. For students with disabilities, impairments or chronic illnesses, additional special grants are possible. Students with a child/children can also receive special grants.

All students are entitled to a 12-month Erasmus+ grant per period of study (Bachelor/Master). If students have already received Erasmus+ funding in another Bachelor's/Master's programme, these months will be deducted from the total quota.

Grant amount Erasmus+ for semesters abroad and internships (2018/2019)

The subsidy amounts may be adjusted annually. Students can obtain information on the current grant levels from the Outgoing Student Mobility Coordination.

In addition to the regular Erasmus+ grant, a special grant may be awarded to students with disabilities or chronic diseases. The
additional funding is intended to cover the increased costs related to special needs. This could be, for example:

  • Special transports
  • Adapted accommodation
  • Support during lectures (notes etc.) or at home
  • Medical care (physiotherapy, normal medical examination in the host country)
  • Special material (Braille texts, enlarged photocopies, recordings etc.)
  • Preparatory sign language course

Further relevant links:

Students with children can also apply for a special grant if their own child(ren) is/are accompanying them for the duration of the funded Erasmus+ period abroad.

Students with children or a disability/chronic illness can also contact our Gender & Diversity representative Nicole Sagmeister, MA.

The Marshall Plan Scholarship Program (MPS) is a scholarship program that supports the scientific exchange between students at Austrian universities and U.S. universities.

Within the framework of the MPS, students of the UAS Technikum Wien have the opportunity to receive funding for a research stay of at least three months at a university or research institution in the USA. Scholarships are awarded in the amount of € 3,000 up to a maximum of € 10,000. The result of the research in the USA is a scientific thesis/master's thesis.

The following application requirements must be met in order to participate in the MPS:

  • Regular student of the FH Technikum Wien
  • Residence in Austria
  • at least three months research stay in the USA
  • Confirmation of admission by the host institution (letter of admission, invitation)
  • good academic success
  • very good knowledge of English

The application documents can be found on the Marshall Plan Scholarship website.

You meet these requirements and are interested in the MPS program? Then please contact the Outgoing Student Mobility Coordination. Nominations for this scholarship are made by the IO.

Students who continuously receive Austrian study assistance or a self-support scholarship can also apply for additional foreign assistance for their stay abroad. The foreign grant is administered by the respective scholarship office and is concluded between the student and the scholarship office. In addition to the foreign grant, students can also receive a one-off travel allowance and a preparatory language course.

The foreign grant can be applied for for three different types of stay abroad:

  1. Semester abroad as part of an Erasmus+ stay
    In this case, students usually apply first for the Erasmus+ grant. When applying, they are obliged to state whether they receive one of the two grants. Since a double funding of full Erasmus+ grant and foreign grant is not allowed, the application is first forwarded to the scholarship office. The students then first receive the foreign grant and only receive the difference from Erasmus+ that is missing on the regular grant amount.

  2. Semester abroad at a non-European partner university or as freemover
    Students who wish to study at a higher education institution outside the Erasmus+ area can do so at a partner higher education institution or at a higher education institution of their choice, as a freemover. As there is no regular funding from the FH Technikum Wien outside the Erasmus+ area, students receive both domestic and international grants from the scholarship office.

  3. Compulsory internship abroad in the Erasmus+ room or outside, which serves the writing of an academic thesis (Bachelor's or Master's thesis).
    If students write a Bachelor's or Master's thesis as part of their compulsory internship, it is also possible to receive international assistance for this. As these internships are credited with ECTS, the scholarship office evaluates them like courses. If the internship is completed within the Erasmus+ area, students receive part of the financial support from foreign grants and the other part from Erasmus+ funds, as in the case of a semester abroad.

    If the compulsory internship is completed outside the Erasmus+ area, the students receive all the financial support from the scholarship office.

Insurance during your stay abroad

Regardless of where and to what extent students go abroad, they should insure themselves against damage, accidents and illness during their stay abroad.

Students are generally advised to take out additional travel insurance for the period abroad. This should cover accident and liability damage in your free time. The Foreign Ministry lists the following insurance providers:

Travel insurance is also partly included with credit cards (for the cardholder, often only with a certain credit card turnover) and in the ÖAMTC-Schutzbrief or ARBÖ-Sicherheitspass.

Since outgoing students also pay the ÖH contribution during their semester abroad or their voluntary or compulsory internship, they are insured against liability and accident in the event of accidents occurring in connection with their studies. However, there are exceptions to the liability insurance for the USA, Canada and Australia. In this case, an extension of cover can be applied for here.

It is therefore worth taking a look at your own liability insurance policy or, in the case of co-insurance, your parental liability insurance policy in order to check the extent to which damage occurring abroad is covered.

The e-card (European health insurance card) is also valid for SHI-accredited physicians in the EU and EEA as well as in Switzerland, but contains only the most medically necessary treatments. Students are insured with their parents up to the age of 27.

Depending on the type of health insurance and the insurance institution, students must take the necessary precautions to ensure that their health insurance also covers them abroad. Information from the Hauptverband der Sozialversicherungsträger can be found here.

If students are travelling outside the EU and EEA countries, an additional travel and health insurance is recommended.